Friday, September 26, 2008

I wanted to share a project I did in Dr. Bennett's Video Production class. This particular video was produced using microsoft moviemaker. My goal was to produce a promotional video for the Chattahoochee Nature Center which provides environmental education classes for public school children. Many teachers use these programs to fulfill their GPS objectives for life science. I am now hooked on using video software for teaching, and have found many ways to integrate this software technology into lesson plans. I would love to know how you use this type of technology in your classrooms!

Thanks! Diane

10 comments:

Misty Rollins said...

I really like how you used moviemaker to provide environmental education for children. I have not used it in my kindergarten classroom but would love to soon.

"Tabasco Jack" Reece said...

I haven't used any self-made video for teaching yet. I plan to but Haven't had the time yet.

I do put video of the students' animations on my website for the parents to see. I put together a video of several projects for parents night.

It is cool! I've thought about videoing our guest speakers for future appearances.
JR

Lindsay said...

I remember this video from the videotape class. I thought that you did a GREAT job on it and enjoyed learning more.

Michelle Payne said...

Diane, how cool! What a great video. I want to know more about the process of videoing, editing, saving, and archiving for future use. I know that you used a video camera to capture the video. But, then how did you load it into your video? Does microsoft moviemaker take care of that for you? Does moviemaker have good editing equipment? And, is the software expensive?

thanks,
Michelle

"Tabasco Jack" Reece said...

Michelle

If your video camera has USB or Firewire output, then you can "capture it in moviemaker. One of the drawbacks to movie maker is it limits you to how you can save the file.

I bought a package - Adobe Elements and Premier Elements for about $100. I get Photoshop quality photo editing and video editing also.

JR

Michelle Payne said...

Jack, thanks! Do you know the cost of moviemaker?

~Michelle

Diane said...

Michelle,
Yes--Jack is correct. Thanks Jack for responding to Michelle before I could!--I have a Dell Dimension desktop (about 4 years old) and I had to purchase a firewire card (I use Best buy for my stuff). I asked the guy at BB how to install it--very easy and did it myself. Saved myself $35.00.

I borrowed a Canon videocam from the ed. department--and it only had a firewire connection (not a USB). After taking my footage, I just uploaded it to Movie Maker (it's called "capturing" video). Movie maker allows you to insert transtions between clips and also to add music (import it into MM) or your own narration via a microphone (I use a Sony electret condenser mic).

The most difficult part-- (hours of time spent because I wanted it to come out as near perfect as I could with my amateurish skills..)-- to creating any of my finished products for Dr. Bennett was the editing--getting the video clips, music, transitions (fade out, fade ins, etc.), and my voice over to "match up". Movie maker has a "time line" you use to move these things around with. In the end, it was great fun to actually produce something I felt a little bit proud of!
Let me know if you have any more questions! Diane

Diane said...

Michelle,
Movie Maker comes with (or I should say came with my Window XP operating system.)
It should also be bundled in with Windows Vista! Do you have XP?

Diane said...

Michelle,
Check out this Microsoft site for Movie Maker. Are you planning to take MEDT video production in your program?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/default.mspx

Diane said...

I will post the movie maker link on my blog.
Diane